By Susan Rose, email@example.com.
As the 2016 year comes to a close, it is time to thank two dedicated volunteers for their years of service to the CPNO board. Zaid Duwayri and Russell Miller have spent countless hours planning, collaborating, communicating, presenting, mediating, thinking, creating, and executing to make Candler Park a better neighborhood and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our neighborhood organization. Here are just a few highlights (and not a comprehensive overview) of their board tenures.
Zaid Duwayri joined the CPNO Board as communications officer to complete the term of a predecessor in 2014. He continued in the position in 2015 and focused on streamlining both traditional and digital communications and publicity for CPNO. During his time as president for 2016 and 2017, Zaid led the following improvements for the organization and neighborhood:
– Changed monthly meeting presentations to paperless
– Partnered and collaborated with the Candler Park Conservancy to align goals that work for both organizations
– Updated the annual budget process to provide more transparency to the members and created a strategic roadmap for the year’s expenditures
– Worked closely with Randy Pimsler and Eric Dusenbery to ensure that the Master Plan’s vision regarding sidewalk repair was realized through RENEW Atlanta fund allotments ($400k + to Candler Park!)
– Advocated for the execution of the featured events of both Fall Fests: Hot Air Balloon and Ferris Wheel which were paramount to the festivals’ overall success
Russell Miller served as public safety officer in 2014 and 2015. He established the Block Captain map and insured that representatives attended APD training for the Neighborhood Watch Program. In 2016 and 2017, Russell was communications officer and oversaw CPNO’s growing presence on social media, including the rise of Next Door. He also managed a couple of turnovers of the editor position for the Candler Park Messenger. In addition to his board role, Russell has been a tireless volunteer at special events, especially the Fall Fest 5K and Fall Fest in general.
Next time you see Zaid or Russell remember to express your appreciation for their four years of serving on the CPNO board.